As it was with this classic Citroën 2CV beauty from France, we helped the owners not just make it technically fit for UK roads and legislation. We also spared them from having to go through a number of formalities with HMRC and Customs and the DVLA.
Making the French import fit for UK roads
Amongst others, this included
- Sourcing and fitting a new miles per hour based speedo cluster dial (rather than kilometres per hour)
- Buying and putting on a period fog light
- Changing the head lights from a left hand to a right hand drive
- Carrying out any other work required to getting it MOT-ed
Taking care of the paperwork
Not just often loaded with too technical questions for the average car owner, the forms are often long and in old (not so user-friendly) formats. To save our customer the headaches, we handled all the paperwork required to import their classic car, such as
- Reporting the arrival to HMRC and Customs; so as to confirm whether any VAT or duty is due – which in the case of a classic car there isn’t
- Registering the car with DVLA; so as to start paying the UK road tax
- Last but not least, we got the new (UK) number plates – for which we were chuffed to have sourced a brand new 1978 built period style number plate!
All that was left to do for our customer, was to insure the car, and by now she is fully integrated into UK life … but in her heart she will always be French, of course :)
If you need help importing a modern day or classic car from Europe, contact us today or visit our main website at www.brent-autos.co.uk.